The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls Day)

 Happy and Blessed All Saints Day!

Photo: NickGeorge1993 at English Wikipedia, via Wikimedia Commons

The Month of November is dedicated to the Holy Souls in Purgatory.  Let's pray for the souls of our dear love ones and the souls of our faithful departed brothers and sisters.

What is it like in purgatory?  And what type of suffering do they experience there?

There are many saints who had vision of purgatory.  One of them is St. Faustina Kowalska — one of the greatest mystics of the 20th century. She experienced many supernatural visions of Jesus.  During one of her mystical experiences, she had a vision of Purgatory

Here’s the full passage about Purgatory in St. Faustina’s diary:

“I saw my guardian angel, who ordered me to follow him. In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls. They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid. The flames, which were burning them, did not touch me at all. My guardian angel did not leave me for an instant. I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was. They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God.

“I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in purgatory. The souls call her ‘The Star of the Sea.’ She brings them refreshment. I wanted to talk with them some more, but my guardian angel beckoned me to leave. We went out of that prison of suffering. [I heard an interior voice, which said] ‘My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it. Since that time I am in closer communion with the suffering souls.’” (Diary 20)
Souls in purgatory cannot pray for themselves, so we, the Church Militant must assist them in order to console them.

Here are some assistance and prayers we can offer for the souls in purgatory:

1. Pray the Rosary for deceased family members, friends, relatives and the most forgotten souls.
 
2. Recite this simple prayer daily: 

'Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.'
 
3. Visit a loved one’s grave and say a prayer for them.
 
4. Have a Mass celebrated for loved ones especially on the anniversary of their death.
 
5. Offer a 30 days of Gregorian Masses celebrated for loved ones.


Gain plenary indulgence for the poor souls in purgatory

Here is another great way to help our departed love ones in purgatory.
By registering your love ones at America Needs Fatima website.

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, 
in union with the masses said throughout the world today, 
for all the holy souls in purgatory, 
for sinners everywhere, 
for sinners in the universal church, 
those in my own home and within my family.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart Devotion

A Catholic Perspective on Why Pride Month (lgbtqxyz) is Problematic